Community Service was founded by Arthur
Morgan in 1940 in the town of Yellow Springs, Ohio, where it is still
located today. His son Griscom, became director when Morgan retired in
1964. Griscom's wife, Jane became director in 1970 and continued until
recently. Currently the organization is being managed by the Community
Service Board President, Faith Morgan, daughter of Griscom and Jane.
For decades, the organization published
quarterly newsletters or journals. A conference on some subject related to
small communities was held yearly in Yellow Springs.
The organization has a large library on
community located in their offices at 114 E Whiteman Street, Yellow
Springs, Ohio 45387.